Defending champion Dominic Thiem withdraws from US Open
Defending champion Dominic Thiem announced on social media Wednesday the “difficult decision” to withdraw from this month’s US Open after failing to recover sufficiently from a wrist injury he sustained in Mallorca in June.
The 27-year-old Austrian, who will also miss the rest of the 2021 season, said he had recovered well before experiencing further pain last week.
“It was a tough decision, but I know this is what I need to do,” he said.
– Dominic Thiem (@ThiemDomi) August 18, 2021
Thiem made a memorable comeback to New York last year, losing the first two sets in the final before beating Alexander Zverev in five.
The world number six struggled with form after the win, taking a break before losing his first-round match at Roland Garros when he lost a two-set lead to Pablo Andujar.
“Unfortunately, I had to withdraw from the US Open and I will miss the rest of the 2021 season,” he posted on Twitter.
“I’m really disappointed that I can’t defend the title in New York, but I haven’t recovered from the wrist injury I suffered in June at the Mallorca Open.”
Another former champion Roger Federer also pulled out of the US Open on Sunday.
The 40-year-old said he needed another knee surgery and admitted he “will be away for many months”.
Get the latest sports news straight to your inbox
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to access The Philippine Daily Inquirer and over 70 titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download from 4 a.m. and share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.